In This Article
- Reasons for Nasal Congestion/Stuffy Nose in Babies and Toddlers
- 6 Signs Your Baby Has a Nasal Congestion
- 3 Ways to Treat a Stuffy Nose in Babies and Toddlers
- Nasal Aspirator Products for Babies and Toddlers
It was a Nightmare for Amy, when her 8 months old son, had Congestion (Stuffy Nose) due to a change in weather (Cold). She isn’t able to figure it out, how to deal with it, and soothe the baby. She lives in a place, where the winter season is longer than summer. Due to this, her baby always has the problem of cold and congestion.
While sleeping, the baby wasn’t comfortable at all and his tiny nose was making his condition worse to breathe. Due to congestion, her son refuses to take the breastfed and sometimes bottle feeding, as stuff nose was bothering him. Actually, babies can’t breathe through their mouths in the first few months, as infants are commonly described as obligate nasal breathers. It means that for babies it would be difficult to breathe through their nose, in case of a blocked nose.
After looking at her son’s condition, Amy decided to do her own search and find the right medication for cleaning her son’s stuffy & dry nose. Below are the few methods, she adopts and able to find the perfect solution for her son’s Nasal Congestion (stuffy nose). And, she was happy to share being findings with others.
Reasons for Nasal Congestion in Babies and Toddlers
Let’s Discuss, What are the reasons behind the Babies or Toddlers Stuffy Nose and provide the Right treatment.
- The most common reason for stuffy noses in babies is due to change in weather. During the winter season, the chances of congestion and stuffy nose increase as compared to other seasons like spring or summer.
- Viral Infection such as Cold, flu, or allergies
- Dry Air cause by Cooking or other Heating Systems can cause Congestion.
- Sometimes, Dust can also be a reason for your baby’s congestion. Therefore, try to keep your home indoor air clean and dust-free.
6 Signs Your Baby Has a Stuffy Nose/ Nasal Congestion
- First Sign is when your Baby or Toddler Refuse to Eat or take Breastfeeding or Bottle.
- Second Sign, Cold & Cough for more than 3 days.
- Third Sign would be Snot (Nasal Muscs).
- Fourth Sign, when Babies or Toddlers have unusually breathing sounds and feel uncomfortable.
- Fifty Sign, when they Sneeze.
- Sixth Sign, the most noticeable sign is when babies sleep with their mouth open.
3 Ways to Treat a Stuffy Nose in Babies and Toddlers
1 # Saline Nose Drops
Saline is nothing but simple saltwater, which you can buy from any pharmacy or you can make the saline solution at home. Whether your child has congestion or not, but it’s better to keep one bottle of saline drops at home for any case of a midnight emergency.
How to Make Homemade Saline Solution Recipe
8 cups water (filtered water for sure)
1/2 tsp non-iodized salt
- Put the water into a saucepan and wait for the water to get boiled.
- Wait for 15 minutes to get the water fully boiled.
- Now mix 1/2 tsp of salt into the water and stir to dissolve and cover the saucepan with the plate.
- Once it’s done, keep the water to get cool to room temperature.
- Use the saline solution immediately or store it in a sterilized container and keep it in the refrigerator.
How to Give Nasal Saline Drops to Babies or Toddlers
- Place a soft pillow or rolled towed below your baby head.
- Now, one parent can gently press the tip of the baby nose, to make it easy for drops to go in.
- Put 2 or 3 drops of saline water into each nostril of the baby. Please note that you should always put the saline drops in each nostril of the baby, in respective of your baby one blocked nose.
- Wait for some time and then try to catch the mucus outside the nostril gently with tissue or cotton swab.
- If, in case mucus is still hard, then again try the same procedure.
2 # Cool-Mist Humidifier or Vaporizer
- To give your baby instant relief from a stuffy nose, steam would be the most effective and fastest way to soothe your baby. The steam will help your baby nose inside mucus to loosen and you can take it out easily.
- Giving steam at home is most convenient for parents, you can give steam to your child in room or bathroom, whatever suits you. Try to give them steamed at least 3 to 4 times a day, it will help him to breathe comfortably and get relief.
Note: Don’t use a warm mist humidifier or hot water, steam to babies, as it can burn the baby if he or she is too close.
3 # Nasal Aspirator or Nasal Suction Bulb
It’s another way to clean a baby dry or stuffy nose, but it should be tried last. Before using the Aspirator/Bulb, try to use the saline solution for the relief. But in case, it’s not working, then you can buy the nasal aspirator or bulb of some reputed company or brand to clean your baby nose. But the question is how to use a nasal aspirator safely so that it doesn’t hurt the baby.
How to use a Nasal Aspirator or Suction Bulb
- While cleaning, always hold your baby in your arms.
- Rubber pump must be compressed first before placing the soft nozzle into the baby’s nostrils (please note that Never compress the rubber pump while the soft nozzle is inserted in the baby’s nostrils).
- Gently place the rubber tip into one nostril of the baby and release the bulb to suction out mucus. Don’t go deeper, as it can damage the inner part of the nose.
- Now, squeeze the bulb and pull the mucus out of the nose and release the mucus into a tissue or cotton.
- Repeat the same process, for the other nostril, and don’t forget to clean it, after using it.
The Best Nasal Aspirator Products for Babies and Toddlers
|Baby Electric Nasal Aspirator
Electric Nose Cleaner and Snot Sucker with LCD Screen, USB Rechargeable 5 Adjustable Settings and 4 Reusable Tips
|Baby Nose Sucker with 4 Silicone Tips and 3 Suction Levels, Rechargeable Snot Sucker Includes Bonus Nasal Tweezers and Drop Bottles and Clean Brush||Baby Nasal Aspirator
Safe Hygienic and Quick Battery Operated Nose Cleaner with 3 Sizes of Nose Tips
|Check the Details||Check the Details||Check the Details|
|Baby Nasal Aspirator The Snotsucker, Hygienically & Safely Removes||A Baby Snot Sucker with Adjustable Suction Power||Top Fill Cool Mist Humidifier 4L Ultrasonic Vaporizer for Babies|
|Check the Details||Check the Details||Check the Details|
|Cool Mist Humidifier 2L Water Tank Humidifiers Baby with Night Light – Auto Shut Off and Filter-Free, 2-Year Warranty (2020 Edition)||Humidifiers for Large Room Bedroom (6L), Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic Air Humidifier for Babies Room||Wireless Mini Humidifier for Babies1L Water Tank, USB Rechargeable Battery Operated|
|Check the Details||Check the Details||Details|