Kids Just Love Saying No to Everything
Have you Noticed that your Child is Saying a lot of ‘NO’ these days ???
“NO” word is something that every kid loves to use be it a toddler or a baby just started talking. Sometimes we got so frustrated by kids saying NO to everything. Kids these days have NO as answers for everything like you want to eat lunch> NO, You want to take bath> NO, Have you done potty >NO, Let’s play puzzle > NO.
Have you Ever Realized from where they are learning this Habit of saying ‘NO’ to Everything ??
The answer is she/he is learning all this from You (parents), we as parents use a lot of No in the process of educating, training, and making our kids well behaved.
Just think how many times, you have said NO in the last one day in front of your kid, the answer would be I don’t know?
A few weeks back I noticed my 3.5-year-old girl is saying NO to almost everything these days, so I decided to stop/reduce this. When I looked back and see myself saying more NO than my little girl e.g. NO don’t touch mama’s hairdryer, NO don’t climb on the kitchen shelf, NO don’t eat that, NO this, No that. She was just doing the same thing.
We as parents can do the Following Few Things to make your Kid say Less NO. And Can Use more Expressive and Reasoning Based Reply
- Stop saying NO to everything which you do not want your baby to do, Instead, tell her a small story about why she should not do it. This change needs to be exercised as soon as your baby is around 1 year old as most of the babies start trying to speak at the age of 1 and start making complete words by the age of 2.
- A lot of videos on youtube and the internet are having contents/baby rhymes which uses a lot of NO words, try and stop your kid from watching them as they learn a lot more from the internet these days.
- Make your baby feel powerful and in control whenever she feels trapped, no interested in doing something, so that she knows she is having many other options than to just saying NO. eg at lunchtime give her 2 different options and ask what do you want to eat, finger chips or Potato wedges?? so that she will not say and pick one option.
- Try and make her feel that you listen to her and do things as per her choice, As it will subdue her assertive behavior which is the major cause of using NO word in babies.
- Parents need to work on this as early as possible normally at the age of 2.5-3.5 when your kids start speaking. If this habit left ignored due to any reasons, it can impact your child’s personality development when she/he starts her preschool/playschool.