Many First Time Parents are confused about how they should take care of their Newborn Baby’s Umbilical Cord. Questions like ‘ When will My Baby Umbilical Cord Stump will Fall Off’, are very common. Parents are scared to hold their child in his arms, till the Umbilical Cord Stump falls off.
Generally, Umbilical Cord Stump Dries and Falls off within 1 to 2 weeks after the Baby’s Birth. As a New Parent caring for your Baby, Umbilical Cord shall be your foremost responsibility. Let’s Discuss How Parents Should take care of and how they can clean their Newborn Umbilical Cord Stump.
New Mom Experience
Annie, a mother of a cute baby girl, was scared to hold her baby in her arms because of the Baby’s Umbilical Cord. Lots of questions were running through her mind, what if She touches the baby’s cord and it starts paining or creates some infection?
Before her discharge from the hospital, her doctor has given her some pouches to clean the cord area twice a day and rub it with soft hands. I think those pouches do not contain any kind of alcohol thing, but it’s important to keep it clean and dry. Before leaving the hospital always ask your doctor to provide you those pouches (it varies from doctor to doctor) to clean the umbilical cord stump area minimum for 10 days – it’s free of cost.
She used the pouches to clean her baby’s umbilical cord, but she saw some red thick blood left out near the cord area after it falls off. But the doctor said not to worry, it will dry up and will be ok in 2 to 3 days.
How Many Days Umbilical Cord Stump will Fall Off
- Normally within 7 to 15 days all Babies Umbilical Cord Stump Dries up and Falls off.
- Just remember not the cover the Stump Area with Diaper till it falls off; always keep the diaper below the stump area.
- You can give your Baby a Sponge Bath till Stump doesn’t fall off.
- Dress your Newborn in light vest or T-shirt in warm weather and in winters first dress the baby with warm soft vest then put winter clothes.
- No Onesies (dress) until it falls off.
- Just give Sponge Bath until the stump falls off.
- Never Ever Pull the Umbilical Cord Stump, please leave on its own.
When I Can Give Bath to My Newborn
- After its Fall off, it’s a time to start giving her Bath in Tub.
- You can also start giving her a little bit Oil Massage before her Bath.
- Please make it sure that after the Bath you Dry the Cord area well.
Do you know as per Indian old tradition, Elder people say that “After the stump falls off it should be kept in the place where you keep your Money or in Locker, as it says that Goddess Lakshmi Bless the child and family”?